Monday, July 9, 2012

Why I heart my city

I've lived in Buffalo for the better part of my life. It wasn't until the husband got out of the military that we truly discovered the treasures that this city has.

Anytime I hear someone say they hate Buffalo, it's such a horrible place to live.. I can't help but think they live under a rock. Drugs and violence? Tell me what city DOESN'T have that?! I'm sorry, but if you think Buffalo is rittled with drugs and dealers.. guess who they're selling them to? That's right. Suburbia. Get the fuck over it. We are no different than any other city. We have our good parts, and our bad parts. But it's still a fantastic city.


Buffalo, as a city, has a LOT to offer.. and until you get off your ass and check it out for yourself? You'll never know. (But you'll think you do, you just don't... sorry).

For example? Plenty of festivals. Art festivals, food festivals, etc. What about free concerts? If you don't like who is playing? Fine, don't go. But it never killed anybody to try out a new music genre ... There's Shakespeare at the park (http://shakespeareindelawarepark.org/ for more info). If shopping is your thing? And you're tired of the regular walmart, target, whatever? Take a walk down the Elmwood strip. The store fronts alone can be entertaining to the eye, and you'll find some pretty cool stuff in these stores that you won't find in your average french fry shop. Hungry? Drive down hertel ave... if the smell alone doesn't drive you insane with food lust? See an ENT. And a shrink while you're at it. Because you're nuts.
If the night life scene is your thing? Chippewa is filled with all of that (though I prefer more gay in my drinks... and thankfully Buffalo has an excellent LGBT scene.. they're like my family).

Hell, anytime friends visit from out of state, they always have fantastic stories to tell from their visit :-D

I'm happy to say that we even purchased our home in Buffalo. (And there are some GORGEOUS homes in Buffalo.. I would have loved to owned a home on Bidwell Ave, Delaware Ave, etc.. sadly, not in our price range.. ) But we found a good sized home, with a good sized lot, for a great price. And the taxes on the house? NOT scary at all.


So hate on Buffalo if you want... (but I'm just going to assume you're a Grade A snob)... I love this city. It has it's bad apples... (AGAIN, may I point out.. what city doesn't)... but it has entertainment, it has character, and it has history. And that is why I plan to stay here for quite a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment