Thursday, June 14, 2012

Are you my *daddy*??

For as long as I could remember... the concept of *daddy* was completely foreign to me. I had only heard stories of loving fathers, or maybe even seen a few examples in friends dads...  but it was still an unreal thing to me.
The words "father", "dad", and "daddy" (or anything similar) usually left me with feelings of dread.. (kind of still does to be honest). Bad memories. Feelings of never being good enough, regardless of all my accomplishments/achievements. NEVER being worthy of a single "I love you". (But clearly, worthy of plenty of pain, among *other* things)...
I guess that's what happens when you're born with a vagina in this family.

I often talk about "breaking the cycle"... though, when this all started, I wasn't sure how to how to do that. (Break the cycle). But with the help of an amazing partner ... we're doing just that. If all children were as fortunate as mine are, to have such a wonderful dad in their life... (and he is).. this world would easily be a better place.

*Not ruling with an iron fist - but hugs, and a firm hand for guidance
*Not expecting perfection - NOTHING can be "perfect" (nothing worth having in life, anyway)
*All children in the home get treated equally - All are protected at all costs

These few examples should be basic common sense in a home. Sadly, this is not the case. And I wish I could  change this fact... but I would make myself sick with worry over being being able to.
I can only be grateful that my kids have what I didn't have in a father... and it shows in their smiles, and self esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment