Monday, May 28, 2012

evolving, and other things..

It's funny... when you're little, you just accept things as they're told to you. You say things because you hear everyone else saying them.. so you just assume it's truth and *right* and... whatever.
For as long as I can remember, it was always "Happy Memorial Day"... happy memorial day! Yay another reason to BBQ... the *official* start of summer season... etc etc.

And then, I became an army wife... ok... happy memorial day

And then, we lost friends during Operation Iraqi Freedom (Operation anything after that).
It's not really a happy memorial day. It's a wake up to what this day is supposed to stand for.... I'm happy because *my* soldier made it home, alive, in relatively good condition. But let me tell you, that happiness sours quick when you hear TAPS playing, and seeing the faces of your friends plastered on the white wall, and it's a sick, sinking realization that you are never going to see them again. There will never be anymore laughs with them during summer BBQs... they're gone.

Since then... hearing "Happy Memorial Day" makes me cringe.  Almost angry...  it kind of makes me want to go around saying "Happy Day your dog died".... "Happy Day you found out you got cancer"....


Holidays in general, have drastically changed in meaning for me... some I celebrate differently, some.. I don't bother with celebrating at all anymore...  but memorial day in particular...
Be happy that life does go on...


(growing up and expanding my mind, has done wonders for me..)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. Life is about experiences, and you're an awesome one.

    ReplyDelete