Saturday, November 10, 2012

My veteran... and the memories that haven't gone away

I can't believe it has been 8 years already, since the husband has been out of the army. That's a long time... and yet so many memories remain fresh in my mind.

Like not getting to talk to him for 5 weeks straight. No calls... no letters... nothing. No fault of his own, that's just how war works sometimes.

Or the time a chow hall got bombed.. and not getting a word from anybody for two days... all you knew was that two people from the unit were killed, and NOBODY is allowed to call home until next of kin are notified. So you spend two whole days bawling your eyes out, wishing with every fiber of your being that it's not *your* soldier. Then overwhelmed with guilt because it's still SOMEONES soldier...

I will never forget the look on his face when he finally got to meet our second baby for the first time... at nearly 7 months old. Pictures, I am sure, helped ease the pain. But nothing beats holding your child.

I still remember Xmas of 2003. It was just myself and the kids that year. I would be lying if I wasn't a little bitter... everybody getting to spend time with their families and loved ones.. while we were alone. Getting that call from Iraq made everything better, made the bitterness go away... because someone... the most important someone in our lives... made it a point to make that call, so we could indirectly spend some of the day together.

And homecoming... oh my gosh I don't think I ever clung so hard to that man before in my life. He was home, we were back together, and we would never have to go through this again.


That's just a lot of rambling.

I am amazed at what we've gotten through... I am amazed at how hard he continues to work.. amazed how we still continue to grow together, mature together, learn together... still making sacrifice and compromise...

Even when he's being the worlds biggest asshole, he still manages to make everything right.


Ok ok, so more mushy stuff. If you know a veteran, please thank them, hug them, shake their hand, buy them coffee... do something to show your appreciation. Saying "I appreciate you" is fine and all... but as the saying goes, *actions speak louder than words*... Act like you appreciate all that they've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment